Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolution

My New Year’s Resolution

I thought long and hard about the new year’s resolutions I should make, and there were a lot of good one’s there:

Lose weight

Eat more fruits and vegetables

Drink less soda

Be more intentional in commitments

Go on a Missions trip somewhere

Live missionally in general

The list goes on, and on, and ON . . .

However, while I was thinking about all these things that I could do, I kept hearing these words: “Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." (James 4:13-15)

What good does making all these new year’s resolutions do other than create more areas in our life that lead to disappointment and discontent as life’s unpredictable nature makes them impossible to achieve.

And so, rather than continue on what seemed like pointless self-glorification in the things that I may or may not succeed in doing this year, I committed myself to a New Year’s resolution that I think is worth keeping.

This year I will follow the Lord in joyful obedience, wherever He leads. I will find contentment in whatever path He sets my feet on, and I will rejoice in every circumstance that He should choose to intersect my life with. I will not worry about tomorrow, but instead, I will entrust my family and myself to His care.

Lead on Lord!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...