Thursday, April 28, 2011

Book Review: The Gospel for Real Life

Book Review:  The Gospel for Real Life
By Jerry Bridges

The Gospel for Real Life is a systematic look at the Gospel through the lens of covenant theology. Bridges approaches the topic in a basic academic tone, making it at least approachable for the common reader if not completely accessible. He begins with our need for salvation because of sin’s hold on our life, works through God’s law, the death and resurrection of Christ, the imputation of Christ’s righteousness, and the hope of transformation for the believer today and in eternity.

While I did not find anything particularly wrong with Bridges’ theology, there were two points I was disappointed by. The first is that I was expecting Max Lucado and got John Piper. The title is a little misleading.  I guess I imagined a book with the sub-heading “Turn to the Liberating Power of the Gospel . . . Every Day” would have more common man/everyday applications than just to “pray/remember the Gospel everyday.”  The second disappointment comes because unlike John Piper, Bridges focuses on the means more than the end. The good news of the Gospel is all about reconciliation with God, which means we get to know God. We can talk to Him, and He’ll talk to us. Bridges acknowledges the importance of reoncilation and prayer, but doesn't spend much time on either, which detracts from the Gospel message.  Understanding how our relationship with God is possible is a worthy pursuit, but not as worthy as the relationship itself.

The Gospel for Real Life is a great book if you want to know about God. If you want to know God, you can start with this book, but then repent, study the scriptures, do what they say, and most importantly seek His face.

A review copy was received from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

3 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Haven't done much reading (Christian books) in a while except the Bible. It helps when you review books this way. Traced your footprints and I just want to thank you for visiting me and leaving me an encouraging comment. God bless and may you remain strong in the Lord's mighty power...

JT said...

I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for your comment on my blog JOHN THREESIXTEEN. I added myself as a follower of your blog.

Toyin O. said...

Great review, it sounds like a good book, thanks for sharing:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...