Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Family Illustrated Bible


New Leaf’s recent republication of DK’s The Children’s Bible is visually stunning.  It has tons of original artwork, and there are some great little “factoid” pages about Biblical times and the effects that God’s people had on other cultures.

But there are a lot of negatives about the book as well.

Jesus said, “You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”  (John 5:39-40)

Any Bible translation or paraphrase Bible that doesn’t point to Jesus as the way, Truth, and the life isn’t worth picking up.  Unfortunately there is enough secular influence left over from its previous incarnation in this version to make these stories seem more like fables of bygone days rather than an introduction to the Living Christ.   Just one example of this would be the inclusion of the Gospel of Thomas in the discussion of gospels written by Christ’s disciples, which has been ruled a Gnostic heresy from its inception.

There are two children’s Bibles I would recommend instead of this one The Children’s Bible by Golden Books (if you can get past the blond Jesus) and The Picture Bible by Iva Hoth and Andre Le Blanc.  These are both much better options.

Overall, I was a little disappointed.  I’ve really been enjoying New Leaf’s books lately, and while this one had excellent production quality, it was lacking in power and Christ-focus.

I don’t think I’ll be giving this one to my son anytime soon. 

I received this book from the publisher for review.  All opinions are my own.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...