Monday, June 20, 2011

God Doesn't Have Grandkids


The sermon at church yesterday was titled “The Dangers of Growing Up in a Christian Home.” The basic premise was that children who grow up in Christian homes get to know about God at an early age.  They are often spared from a lot of pain that the world has to offer because they learn right from wrong in their youth.  This is a topic I’ve thought a lot about, and my basic conclusion is that knowing about God and knowing God are two different things.

There are a lot of people who claim to be Christians, who have grown up in the church all their lives but have no personal knowledge of God.  It’s like knowing about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.  You can read all the tabloids, see all their movies, join their fan clubs, follow them on Twitter, even get your hair cut to look just like them, but if you were to show up on their doorstep claiming to know them, you’d be promptly dragged away by their body guards, turned over to the police and imprisoned for harassment.

In the same way, Jesus says, “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21-23)

No child is going to heaven on their parents’ coat tails.  Our greatest task as parents is not to teach our children about our heavenly Father, or instruct them in His ways, or to even model good behavior for them, though these are all good things we ought to do.  Our greatest task, our greatest privilege, is to introduce them to our Father, the Almighty Living God, that they might become children of God too.  What greater gift could a parent receive than to hear their son or daughter told, “Well done my good and faithful servant; enter in the joy of your Master”?

5 comments:

Diana Rebecca said...

So True! Liked the example that you gave!...

Unknown said...

Wow that's challenging! Thank you for sharing and I too like the example you used.It made it very clear.

Michelle DeRusha said...

This is a huge key and an important point you make: "my basic conclusion is that knowing about God and knowing God are two different things." Absolutely. I grew up knowning about God, but not knowing God. That took me another 20 or so more years. I hope and pray that with God's good grace I can teach my children differently.

Glad to have you linking up this week -- it's lovely to meet you here!

Sportet said...

Thanks Graceful, I think were all still working on the knowing God part and will be for eternity. He's infinite, which means it will take forever to know Him fully.

Aaron said...

Brangelina...lol. Love the analogy. You know in ministry I find that analogies are so helpful when explaining spiritual realities. I'm always collecting knew ones, my favorite right now is talking about God as a trial judge that gets off the bench and goes to the electric chair for you, as a way of explaining redemption. Rick James is the master of anologies, love it, saw him give this talk at MIT last year then used his analogies to share the Gospel with 6 students on a beach, and you could see the lightbulbs go on when I explained the Gospel in terms they related to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlPztqwvCHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...