Monday, June 13, 2011

God is Like . . . Part 3

What Does God Taste Like?

In the past couple of posts, we’ve looked at some of the metaphors, imperfect as they are, used for what God looks like and what God sounds like. Today I want to look at what God tastes like.

Psalms 34:8 says, “O taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man that trusts in Him.”

It seems that it would be easy to see that God is good, but what does taste have to do with it? Does God have at taste?  More specifically does the Bible have any metaphors about what God tastes like?

It all starts with John 1:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.  (John 1:1,14)

What does the Bible says God’s Word tastes like?

How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth! (Psalm 119:103)

Then He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you." Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth. Then He said to me, "Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them. (Ezekiel 1-4)

So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book. And he [!] said to me, "Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey." I took the little book out of the angel's hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter. And they said to me, "You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings." (Revelations 10:9)

If Jesus is the Word, then He tastes like honey.  Look at what the Bible says about the manna from heaven:

The house of Israel named it manna, and it was like coriander seed, white, and its taste was like wafers with honey. (Exodus 16:31)

He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD. (Deuteronomy 8:3)

"Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, 'HE GAVE THEM BREAD OUT OF HEAVEN TO EAT.'"

Jesus then said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world."

Then they said to Him, "Lord, always give us this bread."

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst . . . For I have come down from heaven. (John 6:31-38)

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread, which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.

I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh. (John 6:47-51)

So, God’s taste is derived from the following:

God’s Word tastes like Honey: Jesus is the Word: Jesus tastes like honey.

The manna from heaven tasted like honey: Jesus is the manna: Jesus tastes like honey.

Jesus and God are One: God tastes like honey.

God is Like . . . Part 1 What Does God Look Like?
God is Like . . . Part 2 What Does God Sound Like?


2 comments:

Toyin O. said...

Yes, Jesus does taste like honey, thanks for sharing.

RJ said...

I love honey... and I love this series :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...