Monday, September 26, 2011

The King Who Serves

There’s this crazy story in the Bible about Jesus washing some stinky feet at dinner.  It’s hard to imagine the King of kings and Lord of lords on His knees in front of some dirty guys washing their feet; even Peter can hardly accept the insanity of it all and recoils saying, “"Never shall You wash my feet!"

And Jesus answers him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."  (John 13:8)

When Jesus finishes, He says, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.” (John 13:12-17

In another place when Jesus sends out the disciples He says, “freely you received, now freely give.” (Matthew 10:8)

Our King is not only generous, He’s humble, and He loves to serve.  He served in creating. He served in coming to Earth to live sinless.  He served in dying and rising again.  He serves in giving us salvation, forgiveness, grace, love, mercy, and eternal life.  He serves by sending His Spirit to abide in us, teach us, guide us, and empower us.

But our King doesn’t serve us just so that we might exalt in His gifts, He serves us to set us an example: that even the greatest among us ought to serve the least among us. That we ought to save those in need, forgive those who’ve wronged us, give grace to the undeserving, love others as we love ourselves, show mercy when judgment is due, live for eternity, live in/by the Spirit and Truth, and to pray in power for deliverance, healing, and life for anyone who needs it.

The King who serves, serves in humility, so that those who are of His kingdom might also humbly serve. 

And Jesus says that you cannot serve Him or others in His name if you have not been served by Him.  That’s why it’s not by works that we’re saved but by grace.  We have to experience the example before we can live it.

Stop resisting the humility of our King.  He wants to serve you.  If you’re hurting, come to Him.  If you’re sinning, come to Him.  If you’re ill, come to Him.  If you’re tired, come to Him.  He will freely give you whatever you need, so you can freely give it to others that all who call on His name might be saved to the glory of God.

2 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

How can we not reach out and serve when God constantly serves us, a whole crew of unbeliving, undeserving people?

Perfect post for my first visit here as one of my goals is to look beyond myself, and that is a tough one.

Nice "meeting" you through the link-up.

Natalie said...

Thank you for your visit to my blog and the encouraging comment you left!

I appreciated your post so much. As I attempt to minister to a family in need, I know I first need to receive from Him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...