Thursday, September 22, 2011

Plugging Holes

I love to give God glory for what He’s doing in my area, state, nation, even around the world, and so I often seek out those that I see have a heart for God and talk to them, rejoice with them, help where I can, and most importantly pray for and encourage them.  There are times though when this gets me into trouble, particularly when I run into someone in ministry who’s got their eyes on the waves in the storm.

It usually runs something like this: “I’m so glad God sent you to me.  We need you to serve in our children’s church, youth group, Sunday School, worship team, fundraising, donating, etc.”

Obviously I can't help them all, so my heart breaks for them.

But here's the thing: if there are holes in your ministry’s boat, you can’t plug them with people.  It will be like those silly cartoons where for every person you plug into a hole, two more appear, and in the end the boat sinks. 

When the disciples’ boat was sinking, Jesus didn’t wake up and yell, “Oh my goodness!  We need more man power to keep afloat!”  “He said to them, ‘Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?’ Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm.” (Matthew 8:26)

If there are storms brewing, if it seems like everything is going wrong, if there isn’t enough money, if the ratio of kids to adults is too high, and everything’s out of control, your ministry doesn’t need more people to help out; it needs Jesus!

If you surrender it to Him, and base your success and failure all on obedience to Christ, He’ll calm the storms, He’ll bring salvation, He may even plug the holes, but please don’t assume anyone who comes up and asks you how things are going is the answer to your problems.  I can tell you right now; they’re not. 

If God sends someone to plug your holes, it will sound a lot more like this: “Hi, my name is . . . and God has called me to . . . for you.” That’s the person you want.  That’s the person who will be faithful to help you whatever the cost.  That’s the person who will pray fervently and work tirelessly for the kingdom work God has laid on both your hearts. 

Don’t settle for a warm body to plug the holes in your ministry.  In fact, I would say if the person does not say God sent me to help you, turn them away.  And if they do say God has sent me to help you, ask them how.  It may not be in the way you think you need help.  After all, this isn’t your boat you’re sailing; it’s God’s.

Seek first the kingdom and all these things will be added unto you.

If you want an example of this, I invite you to watch the story of George Muller below:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...