Friday, May 25, 2012

8 Thoughts on Christian Imagination


For the first ten years of my life, I was an only child, and during that time, my dad worked nights and my mom worked days, and I spent a lot of time alone.  During that alone time, I read a lot of books, watched a lot of movies, and created a lot of imaginary worlds.  (I also set the house on fire twice, but let’s not talk about that right now.)
All that time spent imagining led me to be a fairly creative person, but it also led to an exaltation of my thoughts and desires above the real world.  Any time things got too real, I’d go watch a movie or start daydreaming about the life I wished I had. And worst of all, any time God tried to intrude in my life, I’d use my imagination to pretend He wasn’t and rationalize how God didn’t exist.
When I came to Christ, I gave up everything that used my imagination: all the movies, books, writing, drawing, painting, everything that I worried might engage my pride or divert my eyes from God.  But recently God has been telling me to reengage with those things for His glory, so I’ve been trying to figure out exactly how the imagination fits in our relationship with God.
Read today's Proverbs and Wisdom article for 8 things I've been thinking about when it comes to Christian Imagination.

4 comments:

enthusiastically, dawn said...

I am on my way to check out- I have to say that this has crossed my mind more than once so curious to see what your saying. There is one verse in particular that I have questions about...

Derrick Boyd said...

Interesting. Good thoughts. God bless you brother.

Encouraging Thoughts for Life

Sportet said...

Love to know what you thought of it Modern Day. Did I the scripture you were thinking of come up. It's still something I'm studying, so if not, I'd love to know.

mparrott84 said...

Mark Virkler talks a lot about Godly imagination and it's benefits. He is a very good teacher if you are looking into the scriptural backing of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...